Rehearsal Rates and Policies
Please note these rates are for rehearsal bookings only.
Any usage outside of rehearsal must be approved in advance and will be charged a different rate.
Regular Rehearsal Space:
$10/hour (off-peak) Monday-Friday before 6:00 pm*
$14/hour (peak) Weekdays (M-F) after 6:00 pm
$14/hour Saturdays and Sundays All Day
Rental payments are to be paid on the same day of rental or payments may also be made prior to the rental. Renters are expected to pay outstanding balances immediately or forfeit their rental privileges. Rental payments are non-refundable.
There is a strict 72-hour cancellation or change policy. Rentals canceled or changed less than 72 hours in advance will be charged.
New renters must make full payment in advance towards their first booking and a $20 yearly equipment fee (non-refundable) – by cash, check or credit card if paid in person, or by credit card if over the phone. Renters must renew their contract and equipment fee yearly. Upon their first visit to BAX (either to reserve or attend their first booking) new renters must sign a Rental Contract/Rules of the Space Agreement. Download a Space Rental Contract.
Rush Rehearsal Space
BAX offers $8/hr rush space to contracted renters in good financial standing. Rush space rates are available for any space booked less than 24 hours in advance.
Reduced Rate Rehearsal Packages
With a commitment of at least 20 hours/month for a minimum of 3 consecutive months, the rehearsal rate is reduced to $9/hour Monday-Friday before 6pm; and $13/hour on weekdays (M-F) after 6pm and anytime on the weekends.
Months committed to must be consecutive.
First month’s rent due at time of signing rental contract; subsequent month’s rent due on the 1st of each month.
Yearly equipment fee required.
Intended for rehearsals only.
Renters are entitled to priority booking before space is open to the general public (if applicable).
Option to renew the contract if the renter is in good standing.
Rules of the Space
- There is absolutely no smoking, candles, or incense allowed in any part of the building. In addition, there is no food allowed in either the studio or the theater.
- There is a maximum of 15 people allowed in any one booking unless express permission is sought and granted by BAX staff.
- There is a minimum rental age of 21 years old unless express permission is sought and granted by BAX staff.
- The offices, lighting booth, and storage areas are off limits.
- NO street, tap, black-soled, or high heeled shoes, equipment, sets, props, furniture or any other objects or substances (including tape) may be used on the floors without prior permission from the BAX staff and without proper protection for the floor.
- Absolutely no glitter, powder, water, or any disruptive substance may be used in any part of the BAX Building.
- Hanging any equipment (i.e. rope, etc) including body weight from the ceiling grid in the Theater is absolutely forbidden.
- Amplified instruments, as well as drums of any kind, are not allowed.
- All chairs, mirrors, mats, barres or other equipment (stereo, TV/VCR, etc.) may be used but must be returned to original locations.
- Stage lighting equipment is off limits unless arrangements are made.
- Studio D/Theater window shades AND curtains may NOT be altered by renters.
- There are NO storage facilities for renters unless previously arranged by permission of the BAX staff.
- All renters must check in at Reception at the start of all rentals.
- Renters must discard all trash before leaving, close windows, turn off all lights and turn off air conditioners if necessary.
- The contracting renter is responsible for replacing or repairing any damage to the studio or its equipment, fixtures or other property. BAX/BROOKLYN ARTS EXCHANGE is not responsible for any lost, damaged or stolen property brought to BAX by the renter or associates. The contracting renter agrees to hold harmless BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange for any injuries the renter, associates or students may incur in or about BAX’s facilities.
Performance Rates and Policies
Technical Rehearsals are billed at a rate of $85/hour and Performances are billed at a rate of $100/hour with a 4 hour minimum required on each day booked. These rates includes the rental of the Theater space (and Studio C on performance days to be used as a green room/dressing room), use of BAX’s lighting and sound equipment and BAX’s Technical Director (TD). Some limited storage is available.
All theater performance rentals are staffed by BAX’s Technical Director (TD), who can also serve as the light/sound board operator when running simple lighting and sound cues. The TD can also design basic lights using BAX’s general plot. It is highly recommended you contract your own Lighting Designer and/or lighting/sound operator if your needs are very specific or complex. The TD will be present at all Techs, Dress, and Performances.
We will also provide a Front of House/Box Office Staff person for each performance to ensure the smooth running of the box office and the safety of the building. This will be billed at $80 per performance (up to 4 hours, and $20/hr thereafter).
Contracting artist must provide a Production Assistant/Stage Hand (MANDATORY) and any other additional stage crew needed or deemed necessary by the TD. (See below for Optional BAX Staff.) The Production Assistant must attend all technical rehearsals. The Production Assistant and any other non-BAX personnel must set aside a half hour during the first hour of the first performance day for a briefing from the TD. Tech/Dress rehearsals are generally on Wednesday and/or Thursday evenings between 6:00-10:00pm (Theater reserved only).
Our normal format is a Friday and Saturday 8:00pm show with the Theater and Studio C reserved from 6:00-10:00pm. We can also offer one-night rentals and other variations pending availability.
All times booked for both Technical Rehearsals and Performance days must be approved by the TD. It is up to the discretion of the TD if sufficient time has been reserved based on the performance’s technical needs.
There is a required 20% refundable security deposit to be returned to the contracted renter the week after the event, provided the space is vacated in a timely way and in good condition. Contracting renter is required to sweep/mop the space or arrange for the appropriate crew after each Tech and Performance day.
Publicity and Marketing
BAX will promote Visitors Program performances (performance package rentals) on its website in the performance calendar as well as through its monthly email blasts. The event will also be featured on the outdoor display case and on bulletin boards throughout the building the week of the rental.
All publicity materials (e.g. postcards, press releases, programs, etc.) are the responsibility of the contracting artist and must be approved in advance by the BAX Marketing & Communications staff prior to publicizing your event.
Box Office and Ticketing
The contracting artist is responsible for advance ticketing and keeps all box office proceeds. BAX will provide, as part of the rental contract, a BAX Box Office Manager on the day of the event to administer the box office. Same day sales are accepted in cash only, and contracting artist should provide detailed information on advance sales to be checked in as well as seed to make change for same day sales. Box Office opens ½ hours before show time.
Optional BAX Services:
For the following additional fees, BAX can provide the following staff. This must be specified at contract signing or no later than one month prior to the Tech or Performance to ensure availability.
Stage Manager: $100/each day (up to 4 hours), $25/hour each additional hour
Use of Video Projector: $30/day (including each Tech, Dress, Performance Evening)
See the Technical Specifications for more information regarding the Theater at BAX.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
The theater is only reserved when a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of half the contract amount is received. Cancellations or schedule changes received at least 2 months in advance will be rescheduled at no charge. If cancelled less than 2 months in advance, all fees are forfeited. The final balance is due no later than one month prior to the tech or performance.