Position available until filled with an ideal start date of November 1, 2022.
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange, a nonprofit multi-generational performing arts center, is seeking an Operations Manager to join the core administrative staff. The Operations Manager (OM) is a Full Time (40 hr/wk), non-exempt/salaried position under the supervision of the Senior Director of Finance & Administration. The OM works closely and collaboratively with the Education, Artist Programs, and Production Departments to support the smooth running of BAX’s space usage operations and facility located in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The OM supervises the Front Desk team of 6-8 rotating part-time Facility/Administrative Assistants.
Areas of responsibility include:
Space rental management (50%)
- Overseeing, with the Senior Director of Finance & Administration, space rental policies
- Managing the prioritization of BAX’s multi-generational programming in its space use,
including youth classes, performances, resident artist rehearsal space, and
- Overseeing the booking of rehearsal space for dance, theater, and multidisciplinary
artists with the support of Facility/Administrative Assistants in four studios.
- Managing and contracting rental bookings for class/workshops, theater rentals, informal
showings, and special events for independent artists, dance/theater companies, and
- Tracking space rental payments, contracts, and issuing invoices/reminders for
- Manage, as needed, renter relationships and troubleshoot as needed.
- Liaise with the marketing department regarding additional outreach for available space
(e.g. theater rentals) as needed.
- Managing the overall care and maintenance of BAX’s two floors, which house four
rehearsal spaces (one of which doubles as a 70-seat theater), waiting areas, restrooms,
kitchen, offices, and storage areas.
- Hiring and collaborating with vendors to troubleshoot repairs and maintenance projects
(i.e. plumbers, electricians, etc).
- Maintaining and troubleshooting office equipment and utilities, including phones,
computers, copier, internet, boiler etc. with vendors and IT consultants.
- Oversee cleaning and maintenance of the building, including sanitation and recycling.
- Oversee weekly ordering of office/cleaning/building supplies and furniture or new
equipment as needed.
- Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating BAX’s annual space
maintenance project during the last two weeks of August, in collaboration with staff and
General Operations Management (20%):
- Hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of front desk staff of Facility/Administrative
Assistants (AFA’s), ensuring the BAX Building is open 7 days a week 9am-10pm (with the
exception of some holiday closures). AFA’s are responsible for greeting the public,
answering the phones, email correspondence regarding space rental, registration, and
general matters, database entry, and cleaning. AFA’s also assist the Education
Department with BAX’s After-School Pick Up Program during non-evening shifts Monday
- The Operations Manager is the main emergency contact after hours should a building or
coverage issue arise and the first person to be called as backup should AFA coverage be
required. Comp time will be provided for such circumstances or additional compensation
depending on the situation. This responsibility is also shared with the Senior Director of
Finance & Administration and other staff members as required.
- Participate in upgrading and improving systems and procedures across the organization.
- As part of the core administrative staff, participate in BAX’s ongoing anti-racism and
anti-oppression work which includes bi-weekly staff meetings and additional
professional development opportunities.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have prior experience working in a non-profit organization and have relevant
- Enjoy working in a busy multi-faceted arts environment, with children and adults.
- Experience with customer service.
- Excellent organizational skills and highly detail-oriented.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Supervisory and hiring experience.
- Skilled in Google Drive environment and have database experience (BAX uses Filemaker
- Asana experience is a plus but not required.
- Aligned with BAX’s mission and values.
- Flexible schedule.
Compensation range: $43,000-50,000 per annum (depending on experience)
Full time 40 hour week, non-exempt position
Position includes the option of medical benefits with an employee contribution (amount depends
on plan choice) or cash in lieu of benefits if already insured; 3 weeks paid vacation (once
accrued), paid sick time, 14 paid federal holidays (12 designated, 2 floating), voluntary pre-tax
Health Care and/or Dependent Flexible Spending Account, Commuter Benefits, 403B. Position
also includes free and discounted rehearsal space and free youth class tuition for family
members and a professional development stipend.
This position is no less than 80% in person with the flexibility if desired for 20% (or less) hours to
be remote. Ideal 40 hour/week schedule is Monday-Friday configured between the hours of
9am-7pm with occasional presence on weekends or participation in staff wide special events
with schedule adjustments or comp time provided. Additional comp time or compensation
provided in cases where emergency coverage is required.
To apply, please send the following materials (PDF preferred) with subject line “Operations
Manager” via email only and address to Vanessa Adato, Senior Director of Finance &
Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org
- cover letter including why you believe you are qualified for this position and why BAX’s
mission aligns with your career goals and your pursuit of this particular opportunity.
- A current resume highlighting your related experience.
- References will be requested prior to the second interview invitation.
- Due to anticipated applications, we will only be able to reach out to those selected for
Timeline of hire: This position will remain open until filled with a goal of hiring by November 1st.
BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange is a multigenerational arts organization nurturing creative
expression and artistic process through education, residencies, and performance at the
intersection of arts and social justice.
BAX was founded in 1991 and serves over 10,000 artists, students, families, audience and
community members each year. The organization is dedicated to serving artists in progress,
from children to professionals, at all ages and stages of development. The multi-faceted nature
of BAX programs invite artists to embark on creative journeys to develop their unique and
authentic creative voices. BAX honors the power of performing arts to connect and transform
individuals and communities.
BAX’s staff and board actively engage in discussions about how race, class, gender, sexual
orientation, and other aspects of identity affect access to, representation in, and experience
within all of our programs and services. BAX is an equal opportunity employer committed to
creating and developing an inclusive staff team. People of color and individuals of diverse
backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Strongest candidates will familiarize
themselves with BAX’s mission statement, community, and programs. More information can be
found at www.bax.org.
BAX’s building does not currently have an elevator and is located on the 2nd and 3rd floors
located at 421 Fifth Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215