BAX x CDI
Arts & Social Justice Residency
BAX x CDI: CUNY Dance Initative x BAX/Brooklyn Arts Exchange
Starting in 2021-22, BAX and the CUNY Dance Initiative are partnering with Brooklyn College to support a two-year arts & social justice oriented creative development residency with opportunities for teaching & public showings.
The residency includes:
- 25 hours studio space at BAX in 2021 / 25+ hours studio space at Brooklyn College in 2022
- Mentorship from BAX Artist Advisors
- Free fiscal sponsorship via BAX throughout residency
- Residency honorarium of $1250 each year
- Teaching opportunities at Brooklyn College
- Public presentation component, as appropriate for the selected artist/project
2021/2022 BAX x CDI Artist in Residence:
Bio: Born deaf and raised hearing, Anna Gichan (she/her) is a performing artist and choreographer. Anna grew up as a competitive gymnast and contemporary dancer and received a BFA in Dance from Rutgers University Mason Gross School of the Arts alongside a year of study at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance in Israel. Currently Anna is on the Movement Research Accessibility Advisory Team and is a Brooklyn College CDI artist in residence (2021-23). Anna also was a Ballet22 choreographer in residence (summer 2022), Dance.NYC Disabled Artist Residency with Gibney (winter of 2022), Moving Women Artists Resident at Gallim Dance (summer of 2021) and Artist Professional Learning Institute Teaching Residency (2020-21). As a freelancer Anna also currently performs with OMNIUM Circus, a circus focused on inclusion and access.